Fire burn is a common accident in our life. A sudden accident or the burning of a moment can create severe and painful situations. Unexpected events can occur from careless use of common everyday items such as kitchens, candles, hurricanes, mosquito coils, hot water, hot drinks, and even hand sanitizers. One of the reasons for burning is carelessness in the use of electrical materials. It is desirable to prevent such accidents. Even then, if an accident occurs, first aid must be started immediately. It is possible to reduce the damage a lot.
In a sudden fire accident
The first thing to do when the fire burn is to move away from the place of the fire. If there is a fire in the house, workplace, or any other place, the fire should be extinguished with water. If there is not enough water, the fire should be extinguished by pressing with a thick blanket or thick cloths. If it is electrified, it is necessary to turn off the main switch of electricity quickly. If there is a fire in the body, it is possible to extinguish the fire by rolling on the ground. All you have to do is pour a lot of water on the injured area. The affected area should be kept in running water (tap water) for 30 to 45 minutes. Then cover the affected area with a clean, cotton cloth and go to the hospital. Give the victim to drink water or saline repeatedly. If the hand or foot is burnt, the affected hand or foot should be moved as little as possible. For example, if any part of the leg is burnt, the patient should be given first aid by sitting or lying down and in this case, the patient should not walk while being taken to the hospital.
Medical treatment is urgent
Burns on the surface of the skin (shallow burns) are usually severe intense burns, the affected area becomes red, there may be blisters. Deep fire burns do not cause intense burns, the affected area turns white, and blisters do not appear. However, no matter how deep or shallow the burn is, no matter how many or fewer parts of the body are burned, you have to go to the nearest burn and plastic surgery center after completing the initial treatment. If you do not get that opportunity, you have to seek the help of the nearest surgeon. If you do not get that opportunity, you have to go to the emergency department or doctor of any hospital to diagnose the extent of the wound and then take the necessary medical treatment, then make arrangements to go to the specialist as needed. Burning a small part of a child’s body can be fatal, so be careful.
In a fatal accident
In any accident, keep your head cool and save your life. Falling into a fire burn accident can cause head injuries, broken limbs, and bleeding. Head injuries, broken bones, or internal bleeding can often go unnoticed on the outside. Therefore, in case of a major accident, the patient must be taken to the emergency department of the nearest hospital on an emergency basis. More than 15 percent of body burns (more than 10 percent with children) are severe burns. In addition, the eyes, ears, face, throat, fingers, wrists, palms of the hands and feet, the anus, and its surrounding parts are slightly burnt, but it is fatal.
Do and don’t when fire burn
- In the initial stage, do not use anything other than normal temperature water on the affected area. Coldwater, ice, lukewarm water — none of these are suitable for burns. Giving too much cold water increases the risk of cell damage in the affected area.
- Do not rely on baseless information. Nothing like saltwater, rice starch, oil, toothpaste, eggs can be applied at home by oneself or by persuasion.
- Do not tie the affected area with a cloth or anything.
- Silver Sulfadiazine ointment can be applied to the affected area, but no other ointment, jelly, honey anything can’t be used. On the forehead, care should also be taken when applying Silver Sulfadiazine ointment to the eyes; The ointment should be applied very lightly so that it does not get into the eyes.
Be careful to prevent fire burn
- Do not talk on the phone in the kitchen. It can become inattentive and careless.
- Be careful not to catch fire. Loose clothing, shawls, sheets, scarves, sarees can be removed and caught fire. So go to the kitchen in a tight dress. If necessary, keep the sheet or veil open.
- At the end of the work must turn off the gas stove. Do not allow clothes to dry on the stove fire.
- Maintain proper connection of cylinder and gas. Occasionally there are small holes or leaks, call a mechanic to check.
- Open the kitchen window before lighting the match in the morning. Let the closed accumulated gas go out.
- Keep hot water, drinks, pulses, curry, etc. carefully, out of reach of the baby. Do not move from the kitchen to another place with hot water in the water heater. Boil half or two-thirds of the pot in which the water is to be heated. Turn off the oven and add some normal temperature water to the pot. Now you can take the pot down from the stove and pour this water in the bucket and take it elsewhere.
- Most homes in Corona have bottles or containers filled with disinfectants such as spirits, sanitizers, etc. Keep them away from the kitchen and stove. Under no circumstances should you hold cigarettes or matches next to these things.
- Check the electrical switchboards of the house from time to time. Under no circumstances should a damaged or problematic switch be used.
- Do not talk on mobile while the phone is charging.
Writing Md. Hedayet Ali Khan, Associate Professor, Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery, Dhaka.